China 1, Tommy 0

Saturday, July 07, 2007

That's Right, I'm In The Shit

Oh man, I've got to type this quick. I'm deep behind enemy lines and I think my position was just given away. I'm in Veitnam right now and Charlie is all over my ass.

This is basically the grand finale of my Asian experience. I am traveling around Vietnam and Cambodia for a little less than a month and then it's bon voyage chopsticks and hello cable telivision. When this trip is up, I will have traveled to Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia, not to mention exstensively around China. I tally these places up because it is my sincere hope that I did not waste my time and location while teaching here for a year. I am assuming that I will never again have the oppertunity to leap frog around Asia with such ease, so I gotta pack em' in.

Phil and I left for Vietnam six days ago. We had what was supposed to be a very brief layover in Hong Kong when we learned a very important lesson in internation travel. You see, when you travel to other countries, you need these things called "visas". Phil and I were aware of these so called visas, but somehow assume that we were exempt from such trivial formalities. We were denied entrance and felt very stupid. To be fair, almost every other country in Asia allows you to obtain your visa at that country's airport, but we definately should have checked ahead of time. So, after getting pulled out of line like suspected terrorists, we were forced to gain entry into Hong Kong and apply for a visa there.

Hong Kong has a very strange relationship with China. It is economically and politically independent, very much bucking mainland China in both these areas, but it technically (and militarily) is a part of the PRC. Still, it has its own currency and we needed to apply for entry like any other country. At first, I was very frusterated with the whole situation. I didn't know at the time that our visas for Vietnam were very easy to get and was worried that this factor would sink our entire trip. Also, I was under the assumption that our relatively expensive plane tickets just went down the crapper. However, as I stated before, the visa was very easy to get, taking no more than 3 days and virtually no effort on our part. Furthermore, our tickets somehow allowed us to change the date without a change to the cost. Amazing.

Hong Kong actually proved itself to be a wonderful mistake. Phil and I had a truly wonderful time. We instantly met up with an Irishman and a Scotsman. They were very tall, dashingly handsome, could drink till the pandas came home, and were each traveling around Asia by themselves. I bring up the first two qualities because they both also acted as great bait for pulling in groups of women.

Damn, the internet bar is kicking me out. More shall follow...

Tommy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home